Wednesday, November 7, 2007

{Peace, Love & Bobby Sherman}

Okay, the subject came up the other day of Christmas music. I love, LOVE, love Christmas music. We have probably 15 Christmas CDs. So, I started thinking about Christmas music and the memories started to flow. Growing up I had this Bobby Sherman Christmas album that I just loved. There really isn't anyone who can sing "Jingle Bell Rock" like Bobby. My best friend, Lisa McHugh, had the Partridge Family Christmas album. We thought we were really hot listening to our music and wearing our bell bottoms and suede fringed belts. Anyway, I remember thinking that Christmas music wasn't appropriate until after Thanksgiving. I don't think anyone ever really told me that but it just seemed right. So, on Thanksgiving evening my mother would get out all of her Christmas sheet music and sit at the piano and play while we harmonized so beautifully. (isn't it great how your memories can be so much better than what they probably actually were). But really, my mother had a beautiful voice. My dad also has a fabulous singing voice. So, from a very young age I learned the introductions or lead-in lyrics, that most people don't know exist, to several Christmas songs. I love all kinds of Christmas music. We have quite a range from country singers to The Chipmunks to The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I love all of the traditional songs but one of my favorites since I was a little girl is Suzy Snowflake. Do you know that one? It starts out "Here comes Suzy Snowflake dressed in her snowwhite gown. Tap, tap, tappin on your window sill... So, now I want to know what childhood Christmas music memories you have. When do you begin listening to Christmas music. What are your favorites....etc. Can't wait to hear!

9 comments:

michele said...

With all due respect, I believe that Suzy Snowflake was tap tap tappin' on your window pane (not sill) to tell you she's in town. I love that song! Personally since I am in and out of stores so much I get sick of Christmas music (musak, more like) early in the season. My goal every year is to get through the holidays without hearing Elvis' Blue Christmas. Actually it's the background Oh oh oh Oh oh oh that gets on my every nerve. And I absolutely hate the Little Drummer Boy. Pah rump a pum pum, indeed. Beach Boys Christmas always gets a listen at mi casa. I think Oh Come All Ye Faithful is my favorite and I seriously miss going door to door Christmas caroling. Does anybody do that anymore?

kEllY said...

Michele, you are so right about the words. Wasn't it on a record? I have the song in a Christmas music book for flute. We also have Beach Boys Christmas music. Are the stores already playing Christmas music? It just doesn't seem right. We like to go caroling but it would be really fun with you.

frizzlefry said...

I admit, I try to avoid it until about a week before Christmas. I also take the tree down as soon as possible. I guess I'm not so very Christmas-y

heidi said...

I love Christmas music and my favorite songs are "What child is this" and "Oh Holy Night" they get me every time. I love to hear my children sing--I always cry when I hear them sing Silent Night.

My favorite memory is of my mom taking us ice skating each Christmas Eve and then coming home and making pizza and drinking hot chocolate.

heidi said...

by the way---

AWESOME on the weight loss!!!! you go girl.

michele said...

Yeah, Kelly, good job on the weight loss. I could tell at Scott's wedding that you were slimmer. Forgot to tell you, sorry. How are you doing it?

michele said...

It's Rosemary Clooney, btw and yes, Mom had the record.

cari said...

I start listening to Christmas music just after Thanksgiving, but I have to replenish my collection this year because last Valentine's Day ALL of our CD's were stolen from our car!!! The other day I bought two Christmas CD's to start my new collection...but I still have a long way to go till I'm caught up. =)Last year I bought a Veggie Tales Christmas CD for the boys and there was a song on there called "Was He A Boy Like Me". I will definately buy that CD this year so we can hear that precious song during the season.

Naomi said...

We had the NO Christmas music until after Thanksgiving Day, too! I think that it's because my Mom would dread the Chipmunks Christmas record playing over and over and over . . . "Christmas, Christmas, time is here . . ."
One of my favorites now is Fresh Aire Christmas albums and (I know it's cheesy, but) "The Forgotten Carols" by Michael McLean.

Every Christmas morning, my Dad would film us coming down the stairs and finding the presents. However, this was before the days of camcorders. He would have to set up lights and get the Super 8 camera ready. We couldn't come down the stairs until he was ready--sometimes it would be 9 or 10 am. We would get SO annoyed!

Congrats on the big numbers you are posting on the weight loss! You go, girl!!