Thursday, November 8, 2007

{Something they Want, Something they Need, Something to Wear & Something to Read}


This time of year is when I start my Christmas interviews with the kidz so I am not aimlessly wandering through store after store trying to find just the right gift(s). I remember my sister-in-law, Jennifer, telling me this little saying {see title above} some time ago and I think it is a brilliant idea. Our kidz also choose names and give one "better" gift than if they were to buy little cheesy things for everyone. I also found this {shoebox gifts} idea on this website: http://www.lifetoolsforwomen.com/f/meaningful-gifts.htm. And some other shoebox ideas for kids at http://www.lionlamb.org/shoebox.html Something I remember my Mom doing with sisters she worked with in different callings was: "Make-it, Bake-it, Sew-it or Grow-it". The last idea I will share is a tradition we have in our family where we have a FamilyHomeEvening about Christmas and the gifts that were presented to the Christ child. We talk about gifts of service, love, friendship, sacrifice, etc. We then decide what gift we will give to Christ and we write it on a piece of paper and sign it "Love, ______" (with our name on the line). The papers go into a velvet box, tied with a gold ribbon. On Christmas morning the first gift that we open is the velvet box. We read our gifts to Jesus and it sets the tone for Christmas day.

5 comments:

michele said...

You are so awesome. You are by far the best mother I know. I don't know how my kids ever even survived I was so overwhelmed by the whole child raising business. I hope your kids (and David) appreciate you. The Christ letters box is amazing. Can I come live with you?

heidi said...

I think I may adopt this for this year. Sometimes I feel like no one is satisfied and no one cares but me. Can I come live with you too?

Joyce said...

I think that the christmas interviews are such a big help!! I'll be waiting for my Christmas interview call!! :)

Love ya!!

Naomi said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, this idea. We already told the kids they were getting ONE nice gift--but the rest is stuff you would be getting them anyway . . .

Thanks for sharing such great advice.

frizzlefry said...

It's always the "something they want" part that does me in. We interview them and the only things they want are over $200. Well, not Nate, but certainly the older kids.

We set a spending limit this year and told them we absolutely will not break it. Although, we have an essential purchase that has to happen no later than Christmas, so I might put that under the tree too.